Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) is developing groundbreaking solutions to manage retirement & healthcare services as well as maximizing investment returns for the state’s public education employees. Succeeding in life is about commitment and hard work—maybe a favorite school teacher imparted that idea to you along the way. At TRS, we take that to heart and believe life can also be a balance between giving back while excelling professionally.
0654/Data Analyst V/B26
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Data Mining and Data Analysis
· Oversees and identifies/analyzes data and other records in TRS and/or vendor systems for data quality, errors, inconsistencies and trend analysis, and compliance issues.
· Oversees and identifies/analyzes data to test business rules and system edits in TRS systems and identifies system control deficiencies and provides recommendations for improvements, including system defect fixes and enhancements.
· Researches, analyzes and evaluates current business operations, practices, policies, procedures, guidelines, processes, systems, forms and documents; and develops and implements improvements and enhancements.
· Analyzes the impact of new legislation that affects TRS programs and other operations.
· Performs data mining and data analysis in support of projects in pension, healthcare, financial, benefits, investment, information technologies, and other operational areas, as assigned.
· Uses data analysis tools to automate audit testing and develop techniques for continuous auditing and analyzing large volumes of data.
· Uses standard tools, methods, and techniques to analyze relevant data file structures, designs data-mining techniques, develops specific testing steps and writes scripts to facilitate continuous audit projects and achieve audit objectives.
· Identifies data gaps, errors, anomalies, inconsistencies, and redundancies by analyzing the content, structure, and relationships within data. Provides recommendations for improvements.
· Interprets query and test results to identify significant differences in data. Creates ad hoc summary reports, as needed.
· Prepares concise, comprehensive technical reports to present and interpret data, identify alternatives, and make and justify recommendations on data revisions.
· Develops continuous auditing initiatives and data analysis framework.
· Oversees and conducts research, compiles and analyzes data, and prepares ad hoc and periodic reports.
· Oversees and performs quality assurance and serves as a subject matter expert on data integrity, extraction, and compilation.
· Consults with internal and external customers/vendors to identify user needs.
· Participates in the data governance workgroup in an advisory role to review and provide input to the agency database development and data governance standards and procedures.
· Serves as a subject matter expert in data analysis to Internal Audit.
· Identifies needed training and trains others in learning general database queries and data relations, and data analytic tools.
· Leads and/or performs audit procedures, including identifying and developing issues and recommendations, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing relevance information, collecting and evaluation evidence, documenting business processes and procedures, and completing audit documentation as required by professional standards and internal procedures.
· Conducts audits and consulting projects of TRS operations and key risk areas as identified in audit plan
· Leads and participates in special projects, task forces and committees for TEAM program related projects.
· Leads projects in the development of continuous auditing initiatives and data analysis
· Conducts interviews of audit clients and prepares system and data diagrams to identify manual and systems process interaction and critical controls
· Tests transactions; ensures compliance with laws, regulations, and policies on privacy and public access to data; and tests controls.
· Prepares audit reports dealing with complex and sensitive issues in a timely manner for internal and external audiences
· Participates in the identification and evaluation of risks in agency operations and provides input to the Annual Audit Plan
· Complies with IIA professional standards and Government audit standards in professional conduct and performing audit procedures, project documentation, including internal quality controls standards through the review of working papers of individual projects.
· Communicates the results of audits verbally or in writing to management, Audit, Compliance and Ethics Committee, and the Board of Trustees
· Conducts post-project assessments.
· Manages outsourced projects, including working with external service providers in developing statement of work, scheduling meetings, data gathering, and monitoring the contract execution and deliverables.
Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
· High School diploma or equivalent and additional full-time work experience in healthcare, accounting, claims processing, benefit processing, or related experience which includes interpreting, applying, and communicating complex laws, regulations, and policies may substitute for the required education on an equivalent year for year basis.
· Six (6) years of full-time business analyst, data analyst, auditing, accounting, financial analysis, or related experience requiring compilation, reconciliation and/or analysis of detailed system information, or related experience.
· Two (2) years of lead or project management experience.
· A Master’s degree in business administration, public administration, or a related field OR possession of two certification (as listed below), may substitute for one (1) year of required experiences. A Master’s degree AND a second certification may substitute for two (2) years of required experience.
· Experience may be concurrent.
Internal Number: 102
About Teacher Retirement System of Texas
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is responsible for investing funds under its stewardship and for delivering benefits to members as authorized by the Texas Legislature. TRS is a defined benefit plan, with retirement benefits determined by a pre-established formula. The trust fund is sustained principally by three sources -- contributions by members during their working careers, contributions by the state and investment revenues.TRS was founded over 80 years ago. With assets at $154 billion, the Trust is the largest public retirement system in Texas in both membership and assets. It is the sixth largest public pension plan in the U.S. and is among the 20th largest in the world. The agency serves more than 1.6 million people. Over 1 million are public and higher education members and over 400,000 are retirement recipients and beneficiaries.