Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) is developing groundbreaking solutions to manage retirement & healthcare services as well as maximizing investment returns for the state’s public education employees. Succeeding in life is about commitment and hard work—maybe a favorite school teacher imparted that idea to you along the way. At TRS, we take that to heart and believe life can also be a balance between giving back while excelling professionally
The Senior Manager of IT Audit Services performs highly advanced (senior-level) managerial information systems auditing work. Work involves managing or conducting complex information system audits and data analysis of information systems, platforms, and operating procedures; managing audit procedures, and providing input to the Chief Audit Executive on information system related audit matters. Works under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for initiative and independent judgment. Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of others.
State Classification: Manager VI/1605/B28
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
• Prepares the annual IT audit plan using a risk assessment methodology and input from stakeholders in accordance with auditing standards.
• Facilitates process improvement sessions with IT staff using various IT standards.
• Participates in IT-related meetings and provides input on controls considerations.
• Responds to requests by management for specific IT audit and consulting services.
• Manages or conducts more complex audits of information systems, including general controls, application controls, information security, and evaluation of information technology operating procedures and internal controls.
• Leads projects in the development and implementation of continuous auditing initiatives.
• Analyzes relevant data file structures, designs data-mining techniques, develops specific testing steps and writes Audit Command Language (ACL) scripts to facilitate the continuous audit projects and achieve audit objectives.
• Leads projects in the implementation of electronic audit working papers and integration of audit planning, scheduling, and tracking of audit recommendations.
• Leads projects in the development of continuous auditing initiatives and data analysis.
• Oversees the planning, organizing, conducting, and monitoring of information system audit projects and data analysis.
• Ensures conformance with acceptable quality control standards through the review of work products of individual audit projects.
• Conducts audit planning, defines audit objectives and scope, and develops audit procedures for assigned projects.
• Reviews and approves the audit objectives and scope for assigned audit projects.
• Assists and advises staff to see that approved audit objectives are met and that adequate coverage is achieved.
• Conducts post-project assessments.
• Oversees TRS IT audits of General Computer Controls and Application Controls in all areas covered by IT such as IT governance, logical and physical security, system development lifecycle, cloud computing, and third party monitoring.
• Oversees application audits of Reporting Entities payroll applications.
• Oversees General and Application IT audits of third party vendors to TRS.
• Ensures quality control of all IT audit and consulting work.
• Develops, with staff input, the identification and evaluation of risk in the information technology/systems areas, and provides significant input to the Annual Audit Plan.
• Reviews and develops information technology audit procedures, including developing manuals, templates, and guidelines for the efficient performance of audit work.
• Reviews and recommends information technology control elements to mitigate information technology risks regarding the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of business information.
• Performs and/or oversees information technology audit procedures, including identifying issues and developing recommendations, developing criteria for procedures, reviewing and analyzing relevant information, evaluating evidence, documenting business processes and procedures, and completing audit documentation.
• Reviews and analyzes business processes.
• Communicates the results of audits to management, the Audit Committee, and the Board of Trustees.
Administrative and Audit Input
• Oversees a staff of IT auditors and performs departmental administrative duties as assigned.
• Assists the Chief Audit Executive in preparing and reviewing Audit Committee quarterly meeting materials.
• Assists the Chief Audit Executive in developing requests for contracted services for Internal Audit, and monitors the contracted services until completed.
• Provides technical support to the Internal Audit staff in the use of ACL and TeamMate Audit Suite.
• Researches and reviews research of computer assisted audit tools and leading information technology/systems audit practices for recommendation to the Chief Audit Executive.
• May assists the Chief Audit Executive in hiring staff.
• Provides training and coaching to Internal Audit staff in conducting information system audits and projects.
• Represents Internal Audit on project teams, at management meetings, and with external organizations.
• Oversees an ongoing program of benefits and investments data analytics to assess compliance with TRS statutes, rules and laws, and to assess anomalies requiring further investigation and audit.
• Oversees integrated audits that include assessing IT components of various areas being audited and gathering and analyzing data to assess risk in order to determine procedures to test.
Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Preferred Master’s degree or a second certification may substitute for one (1) year of the required audit experience.
• Preferred Master’s degree and a second certification may substitute for two (2) years of the required audit experience.
• Eight (8) years of full-time progressively responsible experience auditing information systems, controls, and security or working as an IT or security professional, including five (5) years of project management experience.
• Experience with ACL or similar data-mining tool.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
• Certification as a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or the ability to obtain within 12 months of being hired.
Internal Number: REQ 220
About Teacher Retirement System of Texas
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is responsible for investing funds under its stewardship and for delivering benefits to members as authorized by the Texas Legislature. TRS is a defined benefit plan, with retirement benefits determined by a pre-established formula. The trust fund is sustained principally by three sources -- contributions by members during their working careers, contributions by the state and investment revenues.TRS was founded over 80 years ago. With assets at $154 billion, the Trust is the largest public retirement system in Texas in both membership and assets. It is the sixth largest public pension plan in the U.S. and is among the 20th largest in the world. The agency serves more than 1.6 million people. Over 1 million are public and higher education members and over 400,000 are retirement recipients and beneficiaries.