At the SEI CERT Cyber Risk and Resilience Directorate, we enable organizations to achieve operational resilience by performing research in emerging areas of operational risk, producing measurement and assessment tools that help organizations better understand their current risk and resilience posture, and developing and validating models, frameworks, and controls that improve organizations' risk and resilience posture. Our Cybersecurity Assurance Team focuses on cybersecurity evaluation and assessment. We support infrastructure providers and government organizations to achieve missions dependent on cyber assets and perform applied research designed to yield innovation and advancement in the domains of evaluation and cybersecurity measurement.
Are you creative, curious, energetic, collaborative, technology-focused, and hard-working? Are you interested in making a difference by bringing innovative solutions to insider risk problems to government organizations and beyond? Apply to join our team.
Job Description Summary
The individual in this position will work as a technical manager of the Cyber Assurance (CA) Team within CERT's Risk & Resilience Directorate. This candidate will be responsible for the creation, development, funding, and management of a sustained research and technical agenda for Risk & Resilience CA Team consistent with and directly supporting the US Department of Defense's strategic challenges and emerging threats. The technical manager is responsible for developing and communicating a technical vision, developing tasking and budget data for project work statements, developing and managing project plans, managing initiative finances and accounting, generating new work and customers, working with business development staff, executing work with high degree of customer satisfaction, and supervising staff.
The successful candidate must have proven experience conducting and leading technical efforts in support of the US Federal Government and Department of Defense; managing technical teams; be self-directed, have a track record of creating interdisciplinary approaches to problem solving, and demonstrate exceptionally strong presentation and writing skills. The candidate must also be able to interact with clients and staff of all levels in a highly professional and competent manner.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
* BS in computer science, software engineering, information systems, or a related technical field with ten (10) years of experience or equivalent
* MS in computer science or technical/engineering field with eight (8) years of experience
* PhD in computer science or technical/engineering field with six (6) years of experience.
Other educational backgrounds of a technical nature with experience as described may be considered.
Experience: Total of ten (10) years of experience as a system or network administrator, software engineer, information systems analyst, information security analyst, IT auditor, database administrator, or similarly technical occupation.
Experience with and substantial knowledge of:
* information technology, networking, and telecommunications
* network security, survivability, and resiliency concepts and issues
* USG and DoD cybersecurity tools, techniques, methods, and operations
* USG and DoD cybersecurity policies and directives
Skills/Abilities: Must have the following abilities and skills:
* mastery of information technology concepts, cyber security best practices and standards, information security evaluation methods, computer security incident management lifecycle and methodologies; risk management; and security policy development
* excellent analytical, organizational, reasoning and problem-solving skills
* outstanding written and oral communication skills
* demonstrated ability and experience in employee performance management
* outstanding financial and resource management skills
* demonstrated ability to prepare papers and presentations for technical and non-technical audiences
* ability to interact effectively with diverse constituencies internally and externally, including senior executives and managers in government and industry, especially USG COTR personnel or similar roles
* ability to recognize and deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information, and where appropriate, ability to obtain and hold a security clearance
* active involvement in professional societies
Other: You will be subject to a background investigation and you must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Licenses: Ideal candidates will hold a current information security related certification and/or training certificate from an industry-recognized organization or be in the process of seeking equivalent certification(s).
Experience: Familiarity with process improvement models that contain the essential elements of effective management, development, and acquisition processes for one or more disciplines and experience transitioning these models into organizational practice; three or more years of leadership experience with responsibility for project and budget management.
* Demonstrated consulting and advising skills and experience
* Project management experience and PMP certification
* Leadership and mentoring skills
* Strategic planning skills
* Demonstrated experience in developing and executing a research agenda in leading-edge technology disciplines
* Developing and delivering technical training content to a diverse audience from entry level technologists to director or C-level executives
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. The most up-to-date information on CMU's COVID-19 mitigation requirements can be found here: Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus.
Arlington, VA, Pittsburgh, PA
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Carnegie Mellon (www.cmu.edu) is a private, internationally ranked research university with programs in areas ranging from science, technology and business, to public policy, the humanities and the arts. More than 12,000 students in the university’s seven schools and colleges benefit from a small student-to-faculty ratio and an education characterized by its focus on creating and implementing solutions for real problems, interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation. A global university, Carnegie Mellon’s main campus in the United States is in Pittsburgh, Pa. It has campuses in California’s Silicon Valley and Qatar, and programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and Mexico.